Reinventing the ATO is underpinned by a cultural transformation delivered through six strategic programs.
Smarter Data is one of these strategic programs, Smarter Data will use data in a smarter way to improve decisions, services and compliance.
Smarter Data is a whole-of-ATO approach to risk assessment, intelligence, analytics, data management and technology.
Smarter Data capabilities act as a mutually reinforcing system, acting with agility to deliver difference-making insight that drives smarter business decisions.
Smarter Data delivers value by ‘Making it easy to comply and hard not to’.
Smarter Data design principles are:
- Top-down – prioritise and drive activities aligned to corporate strategy.
- Integrated, whole-of-ATO approaches to tailored client experiences.
Strengthening capability – people, data, process and technology.
Agility in change – speed, flexibility and scalability.
Connected government – be a lead agency in developing whole-of-government data and analytics solutions.
Agility in Action:
- One of the drivers for change is the opportunity to work with new smaller and more agile vendors who will be appointed via the Data Analytics Multi Use list.
- RAD Lab Platform to test new concept technology, architecture, data, analytical methods and processes.
- Agile methods ensure time-boxed resource expenditure and delivery of scalable, deployable solutions.
- RAD Lab showcases build credibility with ATO Executive.
- The ATO has recognised the need to make better use of data and analytics to improve decisions, services and compliance.
- This has driven changes in how the ATO is structured with the creation of the Smarter Data Program.
- The ATO is making changes to infrastructure, investing in systems and adopting new commercial models (i.e. multi-use list)
- There is an ongoing need for cultural shifts to support these changes.
Source: Reinventing data and analytics – the ATO Experience
Presented by Greg Williams – Deputy Commissioner – Australian Taxation Office – May 2015